Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pussy cat, Pussy Cat, Where have you been?

Kittens, kittens everywhere...and, what's a mouse to do? Well, it shouldn't surprise anyone that this little mouse loves cats, and they love her. I just received a fun and exciting little commission to make a tiny cat doll in a painted trunk for a 7" Pipos cat doll. The Pipos is a ball jointed doll, and these little cat dolls are so sweet. You can see a photo of one on my table below. For the past few days I've been sculpting away trying to come up with the purfect size for the little kitty girl to play with. The first attempt resulted in a little cat doll about 2 1/4" and I just wasn't happy with her. I felt that the tiny cat doll should be a more hand held size, rather than a baby doll size. And so, it was back to the drawing board. I finally came up with a tiny one about 1 7/8" tall.

One of the challenges here was baking the Fimo clay without burning it in the oven. Little toys and items I've made in the past were set on a foil lined baking pan, and undoubtedly, each time, the bottoms, where they met with the pan, would burn. Surely you could sand this off, but it was never quite right. So this time, and with the first doll, I experimented a bit. I found a small glass jar with a small opening, and threaded a needle through the holes that I'd used to string the limbs and laid it across the opening of the jar so that the pieces would dangle, or be suspended inside. Voila! It worked. Timing is also terribly important as you don't want to overbake the little pieces. So timed periods of 15 to 5 minutes would continue until the little body parts were hard.

This is such a sweet project because I've wanted to do something like this for several years now. A friend of mine who works in porcelain once gave me some little porcelain people cats that were assembled on pipe cleaner bodies. I hunted and hunted for them, and the post card book of Hartung illustrations (that I would used to paint the illustrations on the trunk), and nowhere could I find them! In retrospect, I think they would have been too large to use, as they were doll house sized dolls. Still, it would have been fun to see them again. I'm certain they are hiding somewhere, but I'm just as happy that I had the opportunity to sculpt the purfect size for the little cat doll.

Now that she is painted, she will be dressed. A little upright doll trunk will be made and then hand-painted will the illustrations I intended. Its not for me to name her...or is it? I'm sure the little Pipos doll will want to give her a name herself. But, then again, she is taking on a certain pursonality.

Next, I'm off to the miniature table saw to begin the trunk! Stay tuned...

Love,
Miss E. Mouse







2 comments:

  1. Oh my what a darling little cat doll for the Pipos cat, I think it's so very sweet! I love your tiny sculpted dolls....they're precious!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete