Saturday, July 20, 2013

Margie Beats the Heat

The Bleuette Sewing Club, an online group for Bleuette enthusiasts and seamstresses, was having their monthly sewing challenge as usual.  This month Martha, our moderator, hosted a challenge called  Bleuette Keeps Cool, and offered a bib shorts pattern she made for the occasion. 

Some of the ladies were really coming up with some cute stuff, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought it might be fun to join in.  The shorts were a standard, straight-legged pair, with waistband and bib, and you could dress these up any way you wanted to.  Add a hat, add a blouse beneath, and so on. 

One night before retiring, I was thinking about the shorts after I'd acquired some fabric in this sea-green color, and another in a darker teal for Lettie's lawnmower dress.  An idea, an image popped into my mind of little bloomer shorts with deep pockets.  I love pockets myself, so I felt these shorts would be cute with them, too.

The pocket pattern was taken from a LSdS coat pattern from 1915, and the hat, a much later decade Garden Hat pattern.  My friend, Arlene, has done some beautiful detailing to her costuming by working embroidery thread in a top-stitch effect.  I thought I might try this in a sand color. 

The shorts' straps criss-cross in the back and snap to the waistband.  There's not a lot to these shorts, but I'll bet Margie feels cool and playful, and ready for the summer sun in this little outfit.  I'd like to think of it as beach wear, and so added some wonderful vintage images I found online earlier this spring.

This is a short one, just like Margie's sun suit!

Love,
Miss E. Mouse








1 comment:

  1. She could not be any more adorable! Perfect fabric for perfect outfit for perfect doll!

    ReplyDelete