Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Daisy's Apron Filled With Patty's Peeps

 
Daisy's Apron of Peeps
When it came to thinking about an Easter outfit for Daisy...a special antique postcard outfit for our Postcard Girl, there was an endless possibility of illustrations to choose from.  Now I have to admit that most of the postcards I came upon when doing my search were depictions of bunnies and chicks celebrating the holiday in sweet and charming, and often silly ways.  There were ladies in bonnets, girls in pink, children dancing with bunnies, but the one that really caught my eye was the image of a gentle farm girl carrying little peeps in her apron. 

I had the yellow country cotton, and I had plenty of pima batiste for the apron.  I also have on hand quite a bit of French, Swiss and English laces, so there wasn't anything to purchase but a yard of lilac double-sided silk ribbon. 

German Antique Postcard
I wrote to my friend Patty Kascsak and asked her if she'd be willing to make a few peeps for Daisy's apron.  And, a rooster.  It was my intention to make one more Easter outfit that the rooster was intended for, but as you can see from my last post, I got busy making doll houses.

Patty's Peeps
Patty, bless her heart, of course agreed to make me the rooster and baby chicks.  When the first three yellow peeps arrived with the rooster, I was simply awestruck with her artistry and exact likeness.  She told me the rooster was a Silkie, and that me she raised these roosters.  I asked her if she lived on a farm, and this opened some of the most endearing and touching communication I've experienced with an artist.  Patty is surely a modern day Beatrix Potter!  Not only was I creating an outfit for a gentle farm girl, I was getting to know one better!

Lace-up Work Boots
Patty grew up on a 365 acre ranch in Montana where she raised and trained horses, as well as keeping sheep, goats, chickens and ducks.  This landscape of opportunity and lifestyle would keep her close to nature, and so much so that she would often be called to rescue and raise wildlife.  She sent me a photo of a fawn she had rescued that she helped grow to young adulthood with successful release back into the wild.  She also sent me a photo of Cecilia, the baby lamb (one of the sheep's triplets), that had been rejected by its mother.  Cecelia now has her own set of healthy triplets. 

One of Patty's Real Peeps
When Patty married, her husband and her began a residential construction business in New Iberia, Louisiana.  Patty dearly missed Montana, but brought her love of wildlife, farm animals, and skills with gardening with her to her new home.  Here she raises Serama chicken, the smallest in the world, and tells me they are "quite friendly little things".  She also raises a variety of other chickens, geese, quail and turkeys.  With such a variety of eggs being laid, she never lacks for natural Easter eggs.

Her Natural Easter Eggs
This gentle soul also gives much of her vegetable garden crop, and countless eggs to people in her neighborhood in less fortunate circumstances.  A gourmet cook, who used to run her own catering business, she cans and pickles, and there is never any waste.  Patty puts out frog houses in her garden, and has a bird friend whose wing she mended.  Her natural ability to care for, and tend animals, brings them from far and near to her peaceful haven.  Well, it is little wonder why she can create such lifelike needlefelted animals.  Patty has been helping accessorize my doll costuming with little animals for two years, and I'm sure you'll agree, she's quite the talent.  Thank you, Patty, for being you.  A modern day Beatrix Potter.

Wee Gosling
Well, Daisy certainly needed a little bit more than peeps in her apron, and Patty couldn't help me with the work boots, so I made them myself.  It took five days to draft a good pattern, but I finally came up with one that worked.  I used a distressed goat leather in cognac for the lace up work boots.  After purchasing a 1/16" hole punch, I was able to lace up the boots with jewelry cord.  Earlier Jean had introduced me to alcohol pens, and the burnt sienna pen perfectly colored the white jewelry cord.  Alcohol pens.  Try them.  Most people might be familiar with Prismacolor watercolor pens, and the alcohol pens work much differently.  They color fast, and dry immediately without running.  They're great!

Box of Puff Ball Peeps and Goslings
Daisy's dress is a drop-waist with three tiers of ruffles.  Her pinafore is completely lined and made from pima batiste.  I used a French lace for the collar decoration.  This is not a free standing collar, but lace sewn on below the neckline and around the shoulder to back in a decorative way.  It took me a long time to figure out how to do this.  Finally, her apron has little thread loops for her fingers to hold it up with, filled with Patty's peeps.  I'm delighted with the outcome.  I'm sure next year I'll create the "other" outfit, and this was for Polly.  Best not to think about it and drive myself crazy.  There's only so many hours in a day.

Today the Keyhole Bliss House kit from Jean arrived!  Its marvelous, and I can't wait to begin it.  I do have two things I'd like to do prior to beginning it, and one is to stretch myself into making my first fashion doll outfit.  I  have the Franklin Mint Gibson Girl, Josephine doll, and I've been wanting to make her a Day at the Beach outfit.  Instead of agonizing over whether or not I can do it, I'm just going to.

Happy Spring, and Happy Easter!  Thank you, Patty, for your enchanting little animals and all you do for real ones and humanity.

Love,
Miss E. Mouse

Patty's Bird Friend


A Close-up of the Rooster


Cecilia, the Triplet

Patty and the Rescue Fawn


Mrs. Rooster?  I'd run, too, Mr. Bunny!

I do love the umbrellas!

Daisy, the Peeps, and Mr. Rooster

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Everything about this post is amazing. I am so grateful you share as you do. It is very inspiring. God bless and have a Happy Easter. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The boots are superb (as is the dress). I know all about the foibles of alcohol pens and how quickly they dry! Great job. N

    ReplyDelete