Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Autumn Mix and Match For Travel Dolls

Travel Dolls' Original Outfits
It feels like quite some time since I've journaled a posting, and it may well be that's the case.  After completing Alice Liddell's gold gown with the black pom-pom trim, I worked on a little update for one of Tonner's White Rabbit figures.  This I will share when I've made the 12" Alice Illustrated, a new dress.

Following this, we took a ten day sojourn to the red canyons and sandstone cliffs of Utah.  While it rained half the time, it snowed in the higher elevations and was a thrill to hike through.  To me, this is one of the prettiest places on earth.  And, during those rainy days, I got a lot of reading done. 
Top and Skirt Combination with Middy
The ribbon embroidery endeavor went well, and I've a good feel for working with it.  However, I didn't feel the practice bits worthy of journaling on.  Sometime in the future, I'll add such embellishments to a dress.

Upon returning, I continued work on some mix and match pieces that were requested to compliment the Travel Doll costuming on the Lawton Travel Dolls.  As you know, earlier I'd made an outfit for the boy to compliment the red and black of the girl's costume.  Requested was a middy top to go over the boy's onsie pants combination that goes under the brown middy.  And, a black silk skirt the girl could wear with the brown top, for a matching set.  A bow for her hair and a long sash to belt the skirt for a different look were also on the list.

With a Black Silk Tie
These were made and ready to go, when the suggestion for a top and skirt, onsie combination for the girl, to go with the linen middy, were added to the trousseau.  The skirt alone was made with box pleats, and the combination skirt and linen top, offered a centered box pleat with knife pleats travelling left and right of it.  This came out particularly well, and looks fetching under the top.  A black silk bow can be added through the thread loop for still a different look.

I also redid the look of the hat from the boy's outfit.  I removed the gold ribbon around the band of the hat, and also removed the button sewn ribbon that decorated it.  I made, by hand, a small wool yarn pom-pom and centered in the top of the hat.  A jaunty look for either the boy or girl

And, a Large Hair Bow
I think the pom-pom got me thinking about Alice Liddell's pom-pom fringe, and so on spec, and as a creative inspiration, I made Travel Doll, a coat and bonnet from winter white velveteen lined with white silk dupioni.  I trimmed it with Alice's "pom-pom" fringe, then added a lined bonnet for a holiday look. 

Well, that wasn't quite enough I suppose.  It seemed the black skirt needed a top separate from the brown middy it was intended for.  So I spruced up the look of the coat set by adding a red silk chemise to under it.  This brightened the look with a holiday appeal, but can be used for other skirts and tops as well. 
The Combination Piece
At some point you have to say "Done", and this was where I stopped.  The recipient liked the coat set, and I was pleased since it truly turned out beautifully.  I had so much fun dressing the two dolls up in the mix and match pieces and wanted to share them with you.

It was good for me to create the coat pattern since I want to make one up in pink velveteen for my Mignonette doll.  I'll probably do this for the holidays.  I also purchased some beautiful toffee brown velveteen that would look splendid in a boy's suit for Sterling.

Black Silk Skirt with Red Silk Chemise
Speaking of "the holidays", I guess I failed six ways to Sunday in creating new Halloween costumes this year.  While its still 8 days away, by the time I finished something, and I could only make one, poor Daisy (yes, I'd make it for her), would have to wear it through to Thanksgiving.  And, I'd have to dress Polly and Lettie up so they wouldn't feel left out of the party.

Time passes all too quickly and there's only so much I can do in a day.  However, let's enjoy what we do have for our dolls, and all the good we have in our lives.  I will not let autumn pass me by without a good hike through the leaves and some star gazing on those chilly black nights.

At least the Travel Dolls have plenty of options to take them through their happy days together.

Love,
Miss E. Mouse


And, a Pom-Pom On Top!

Boy's Onsie with Middy

For the Holidays

The Back and Bonnet

Winter is Coming!

1 comment:

  1. Miss Mouse,
    What a wonderful little set you've made for Travel and boy, they are absolutely delightful!! I especially love the white velveteen coat with bonnet hat.....so very sweet, and the contrast black pom pom trim is the cutest! Love everything you're doing with the Travel Doll and friends, Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete