Friday, December 23, 2011

The Great Pumpkin







Seems like an eternity since I last wrote, and September 7th, may well be in mouse years! So please bear with me while I catch up a little. Truthfully I had this entire entry written in my mind and had hoped to post it in October. Then November came and it was time to make Daisy items for Christmas, and that was a long and tiring month in the process. I so wanted these items to be enjoyed all holiday season long, ready by December the first!


As many of my friends can attest, I was the mouse that did not sew. However, when making the miniature version of The Ladies' Home Journal for October, I spotted these costumes a girl could make from 1911, and had to try the Pumpkin Costume. It was one of those illustrations that cried out to come to life. I'd had plenty of experience with buckram based hats and knew the pumpkin hat would be fun to do, and by the end of this experience, I had to claim myself The Ruffle Queen.


I started with a basic Daisy dress pattern and altered it to make this costume up. Yards and yards of ruffles later, I'd learned so much about ravelling fabric. I'd never intended to sell this costume. It came with the little purse, the hat and a pair of black leather slip-on shoes I'd made. Still, I wanted to see what would happen if I did try to sell it. Curiousity busied the mouse and all. Well, it sold! Not only that, I had to make a second one for a customer. It was about this time that I received a new sewing machine for my birthday (which was September 18th). Its a Juki Pro Quilter, and let me tell you, this top of the line little piece of machinery magic almost sews by itself! While I made the second costume, I had to learn how to use the machine and realized how very delicate computerized sewing machines can be.


Along with five copies of the miniature Ladie's Home Journal, I also miniaturized a sheet of party favors from the original magazine. These were place cards, book marks, and favors all detailed with tiny runes. Oh, to have lived in 1911 when everything was made by hand and cleverly thought out and crafted!


I never got to make the witch costume from the page of costumes, so I will save that for next October, or when the bug bites just to do it. The hat alone would be wonderful to make!


Since the sewing bug has been seeping into my little veins, I've done little else. Its a new craft to learn and the patterns from 1911 came without instruction. One more thing to master I suppose. Its a wonderful challenge, and as a friend of mine, Laurie, who is teaching me by way of email, tells me, its like a puzzle. A puzzle you put together to form one picture.


All Hallow's Eve has come and gone, and Christmas is now two days away. I have one more story to tell you before I wish you happy holidays!


Love,
Miss E. Mouse



























































No comments:

Post a Comment