The rain came back this afternoon quite unexpected, and now it is simply grey, drizzly and cold. Is there a better way, then, to spend the afternoon than on reflection of a project finally realized?
Last summer I acquired a reproduction of the Lettie Lane Doll House doll. It was ever the intention to work on a kit to dress the doll with a respected doll artist. She'd develop the dress pieces, and I would make the hats to go into the kit. This, of course, did not come to fruition, so I was left with a hat mold I was not truly happy with, although the hat it made was lovely. So when I was asked to make the dress and hat for a customer and friend a few months ago, I agree to do it. But, finding a good match to the blue on white print from 100 years ago was impossible. Many have said they would make it on the computer, but I have tried such a thing long ago when dressing doll house dolls and the ink is never a deep enough color. So almost having given up, my friend gave me the green light to make it in a fabric of my choosing. I chose a tiny yellow rose bud Lawn.
The design of the dress is true to the original as well as the size of the straw hat. The little skirt piece was pleated, pressed with a craft iron, and hand sewn onto the one piece bodice. The dress on this 3" doll is completely hand stitched, and the lace was hand sewn on as well. While the original dress was sewn onto the doll, I couldn't follow suit since I did not have my friend's doll. I added two tiny shank buttons and made equally tiny thread loops. The result is a dress that can be removed, and a dolly that just might get more clothing in the future.
The new mold for the hat was made with a button and a round box. It actually worked quite well, and this one I'll keep for future hats should there be any requests. I'm pleased with the outcome and so is my customer. My Lettie was proud to show off the little dressed doll, even though she has yet to receive a new dress herself. One thing at a time.
I just discovered something about the blogsite. You can click on the photos and they will enlarge for you! Also, you'll notice that the last three posts are more evenly layed out. I think I have an old computer and some upgrade must have occurred to correct the problems I was having earlier. The wide spaces, etc., were never an intention.