|Standard Pleats and Box Pleats|
One of the interesting things about sewing from scratch, is that I often have to learn how to do something all over again. There was more seam ripping in this little dress than I would have imagined there to be. For instance, the large, loose cuffs on the sleeves. I must have fiddled with turning them up, cinching them up and all manner of fussing, until I remembered that there needed to be a cuff band sewn on at the bottom of the sleeve, good side to back side to enable me to roll the cuff over the sleeve and tack it down.
|Twenty Covered Buttons in All|
A for the Dharma Dye experiments, I learned that you could use a 1/2 tsp of dye in a tap water bath, dip the clean wet cloth in for 30 seconds, sprinkle a tad of soda ash in the bath, swirl, and remove it quickly to attain a light shade of the color. The first attempt following the directions gave me a deep, rich color, so the dye is excellent. The time you leave it in the bath is the key. I only experiemented with 1" square pieces so as not to ruin the yardage.
I think the greatest challenge was covering all those buttons and hoping they would be in scale for the dress. The smallest Dritz covered button kit available is 7/16". Generally, this would be too large a scale for a dress, but Lettie is an 18" antique reproduction doll. And, when all is said and done, she is just a doll, who doesn't seem to mind a'tall! I did experient with covering plastic shank buttons, but the fraying was atrocious and looked terribly messy. What I may do is try to find tiny satin covered wedding buttons, and cover those. Lettie's clothing not only has ruffles, lace, and pleats, but tons of buttons.
|The Illustration Once Again|
Now to top things off with a hat!
Miss E. Mouse