|Little Lettie Plays Mary Marie|
|Leaving the back open caused quite an uproar!|
|Scissors Shears, Bod Kin, Tommy Tomato Pin Cushion|
So! When the subject of color and pattern choices came up recently, a dear friend came to the rescue with a bit of well done research. In browing the section 1910 - 1935, from a book titled Dating Fabrics A Color Guide 1800-1960, she discovered a print similar to the navy one I chose for the 16" doll. Listed were polka dots in candy pink as well as typical solids, orange being the second choice, with "lots of prints featuring navy and orange"! Imagine that. So both our choices have been historically correct, and such a relief this is. While I understand comfort zones, I truly the believe the most important thing to consider when you begin a project is choosing that which makes you happy to work on.
With Little Mary Marie (you may recognize her as Little Lettie Lane), I carefully selected vintage inspired prints that would once again celebrate the general theme of the printed book. In order to add a bit of whimsy and originality, I embroidered three of the Thimble People on her pinafore. It wasn't until this canvas of white was draped over the Morning Dress, that it less resembled a chef's white apron, than a play pinny. For the embroidery, I free-handed the characters and stitched them up in two or one strand of basic sewing thread. Since scale is everything to me, I wished them to look as if the 10 1/2" doll made them herself. Hours of painstaking work went into them, and each are about 1" long.
I found an iron on tranfer for these Thimble People by a group called Acme Notions. The patterns are huge, the fairy at about 16", but reduced on a copier, they could easily make suitable artwork for little doll clothes. I found several methods in an engine search for tranfer inks, and some brave souls I'm sure have tried them. Pen Cil is my modus operandi, and I'll stick with that (Pen Cil being one of the Thimble People) for now.
As with all patterns, even if you reduce them on a copier to fit a smaller doll, it is best to take the time to recut the piece from paper towel and make a mock up. I didn't do this the first time around, for the apron, as the reduced pattern on the chosen cd was supposed to have been tested. The neckline was so large that the entire doll could slip through it. So in an effort to save the first embroidered Scissors Shears that I did, I cut it out and will make a cute little patch on the laundry bag Mary Marie has. I purposely opened the back of the apron for ease of dressing the doll, and knowing Daisy's was done this way two years earlier, I felt it would be okay.
While planning my next project, a new row of embedded lights is being installed in my studio today down the center of the ceiling. And, if you don't think I'm on pins and needles, well I guess the Thimble People might get me through this!
Miss E. Mouse