Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Peg Wooden Bleuette With Cottage Carry-all


It is evening and I've just sat down for a bit of dessert. Would it surprise you if I told you I loved cheesecake? hee-hee Especially with cherries on top. Everything is better with a cherry on top!

I've been working all day on dressing the little Bebe Balancoire. This is seriously one of the most intricate little outfits I've ever dressed a doll in that was under 3"! First of all I'm using the most beautiful silk imaginable. It was a piece of remnant that someone gave me from a dress she made my Bru. Its the color of milky coffee and so delicate and thin it has very few slubs in it. Silk dupioni is know for its slubs, which are thickened threads in the texture. In order to achieve the very look of the original gown from 1893, I've had to run red embroidery thread through the dress in horizontal rows to give the illusion of silk ribbon. Even the bloomers are made from the silk. The most incredible thing is that I intend for every element of her wardrobe, worn and in the presentation box to be removable and dressable. No easy task with silk that frays.

And, throughout the days I continue to work with the charming peg-wooden paperdolls. There are endless possibilities and they are so precious to make. I just finished this little Bleuette peg wooden - illustrations by the phenomenal Karen Prince. She's only 2" high. I found this darling cottage in a children's book and had to adapt it for the carrying case. The result is rather "Alice", but who does not love Alice? I may just have to do a little peg-wooden paper doll of Alice and the Rabbit. I do have antique reproductions of them. We'll see. Much work is on my table and I still have yet to begin the Hitty Marionette Theatre.

What happens when I'm in the middle of several projects is that my, now two, work tables are scattered with pins and paint, fabrics and rulers, pieces of wood and bags of bits. The result is utter chaos and only I know where everything is and why. The only two things I continually lose is my pencil and my gummy Mars eraser. Did I mention I'm still slaving over the second miniature Chinese Checkers set? Only 3" by 3", its a hand painted miniature of a King Foo Checkee board, circa 1930.

This evening while I was looking at some recently posted photos on a group I belong to, I noticed someone cut out copier-reduced-in-size Daisy paper dolls from the Lettie Lane pages and posed them with her Bleuette. The say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

If you've studied art history to any degree, you will most likey recall that nothing is new. Artists have been copying and revising past works since time began. There is no greater artist than nature itself for it is always original, and always new. I often recall the work of Elizabeth Vigee-Lebrun with her Chapeau de Paille. She painted a self-portrait in a hat with a plume after a painting of Rueben's sister in law. She admired and loved Ruebens' work so much, that she made it her own.

If you love paper dolls and you love Bleuette, please visit my website www.zhibit.org/houseofmissymouse as this charming little peg wooden is for sale.

Love,
Miss E. Mouse



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, they are lovely.

    As for the copying, you are right of course that we are all inspired by the work of others, knowingly or not, but hey using electronic copying isn't inspiration, it's downright stealing of intellectual property and there are copyright laws against it!! You have clear copyright notice on your pages. The very LEAST you would expect is an acknowledgement. I'd be beyond tail twitching and the claws would be coming out.

    ReplyDelete