Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Its a Puzzlement!

The king sat on his cushion questioning all the world around him, and claimed, "Is a puzzlement!" Rogers and Hammerstein's The King and I is one of my very favorite musicals of all time. And, today, I whistle a happy tune! For two reasons. One is that, as you can see, I got my cast off. Now my paw is bruised and hurts from disuse, but I'll be scurrying around in no time at all.

A couple of weeks ago I attended a doll show and found the most amazing childrens' wooden puzzles from the 1930's. The colors were bright, all the pieces were there, and all of the four sets, but one, had the colorful cheat sheet to build the puzzle by. I didn't think twice and handed over all my dolly dollars. For a very long time, practically since I began making Etrennes, I've wanted to make miniature wooden puzzles. This was the time and now I had the perfect pieces to work with.

It took me three tries to make one, but I finally had great success with this darling one of children playing school. These puzzles are so charming and colorful that I'll be making two more to sell once I make little boxes for them. Now how did I do it? I'm not telling. But, I did use my miniature scroll saw and tugged at my tail a few times in frustration. They are so cute! Only 2 3/4" x 2 1/4". Here are two pictures to show you. One was put together by me, and you can see Bleuette giving it a try. She gave me two thumbs up and on we go!

I've enjoyed putting together jigsaw puzzles since I was a little mouse. My first one with more than twelve pieces was a Mary Poppins puzzle and by the time I was ready to put it away, I could put it together in half an hour! It was of Mary and drifting down with her parrot handled umbrella and the other nannies being blown away to the clouds. I've always loved umbrellas, too, but that's another tail to tell.

I have not forgotten Bebe! She's been very patient as I continue to make her little accessories and is delighted to sit and swing for hours. More of her soon!

Love,
Miss E. Mouse







1 comment:

  1. The colour and style of the puzzle is so interesting, and a great idea putting it to 'use' with Miss Bluette :)

    Good news that your cast is off.

    ReplyDelete