Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Material Mouse

Oo, oo! Li-ving in a material world, and I am a material mouse!

Today, after fidgeting and fussing and trying to figure out how I was going to find the perfect silk for Bebe's second dress and bonnet, I decided that I would finally make the journey to Grass Valley to visit Fabrics on Mill Street. I've been told time and again that Fabrics on Mill Street was the store I would find what I was looking for, but taking that long drive down Highway 49 was not something I was looking forward to.

Earlier I'd learned that the one good quilting store in our area was closing due the owner's retirement, and as the ladies and I were discussing fabrics, the subject of this store once again came up. So I broke down and took a little drive. Incredibly I found a parking space right in front of the store, and this was a good thing since a mouse crossing a busy street can prove hazardous. I was skeptical that I would find what I was looking for, which turned out to be white silk Dupioni Shantung, and I feel smart just saying that name. I was looking for a variety of fabrics for several projects and this wonderful lady, Susan, finally came to my assistance and taught me so much about fabrics in the brief forty-five minutes I was in her store.

For a long time I would search Internet stores looking for material, and while swatches looked pretty, I had no idea what I would be buying because I wasn't familiar with the terms. Radiance is a cotton/silk blend that is so beautiful, and next to Ultra Sateen, which is also a cotton, the richness and "glow" of the fabrics are undeniable. I also am now able to identify Dimity, Pima Pique, and Voile, all of which are cottons. Natural fabrics are the only ones suitable to miniature dressing, but little does the public know that I'm also planning on sewing doll clothing for a Daisyette, which is a Daisy only Bleuette sized.

Another wonderful thing is that now I have the fabric to send to my seamstress (no I won't sew this time) to make a dress for the 7" Claire Jolie (Wendy Lawton), who will become my Marcella for the Raggedy Ann and Andy miniature marionette theatre I have long wanted to make. How tall will the theatre be? About 7 or 8" tall. The marionettes will be 2 3/4" tall. If you'd like to see what I've done with miniature marionette theatres, do visit my website at www.zhibit.org/houseofmissymouse

And, the happiest news is with the perfect silk in paw, Bebe Balancoire's trousseau, and treasures in her presentation trunk, will be well on their way to completion.

...and I am a material mouse!

Love,
Miss E. Mouse

2 comments:

  1. A very lucky material mouse I think. Not only wonderful fabrics but a free textiles lesson as well! I'm so looking forward to seeing your new projects materialize - tehe - couldn't resist that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy Mouse, Sounds like you had a fun and informative day! Of course you know I can't wait to see your Marcella for the Raggedy Ann and Andy miniature marionette theatre. I will be anxiously awaiting it's debut! Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete