Saturday, October 3, 2026

Lacie in Hallowed Halls, 1971

October has arrived!  The second 'ber month of the year.  September was especially beautiful this year with mild weather and very pleasant days.  It was also one of the best 'berthday months I can remember.  And this deserves a most appreciative thanks to my friends.

Although September was traditionally the back-to-school month, as children were no longer needed to help with the harvest, the start of the school year remained the day after Labor Day until recently.  While families became more suburban after WWII, the time to return to studies gave young people long summers to rest, travel and play.  For the purpose of my sentimental memories, the start of the school year will always remain September.

And with that came new clothing.  Especially beautiful plaids in fall colors.  Skirts and jumpers, sweaters and tights. 

This past summer I'd finally decided to pull my childhood Twist n

Turn Barbie trunk down and begin adding to the Barbie and Francie wardrobe I'd collected from age ten to eleven.  As early as only fifteen years ago, vintage Barbie clothes in excellent condition, even new in box, had been quite affordable.  Now, they're outrageous in cost, but I suppose that was to be expected. Still, there were some I'd enjoy including in their wardrobe.

I pulled out my collector's catalogues and started my search.  One of the outfits I came upon was Barbie's Super Scarf from 1971.  The first thing that popped into my mind was that I'd seen this before!  Or at least a version of it.  I quickly pulled my two Dawn doll trunks out and lo and behold, Dawn had a similar outfit called Mad About Plaid.  It, too, came out in 1971.  I dressed both dolls up in these outfits at the end of August and considered what something similar would look like for Lacie. 

Lacie has a much more elegant and sophisticated look, but 1971 was solidly a year when miniskirts were the rage.  I had to do it.  I love this look for the plaid miniskirt, with fabulous boots and a cozy sweater so perfect for back to campus studies.  
Just today while preparing this journaling, I found this preppy style coloring book on Amazon (via Pinterest), that gives us that wonderful and exciting feel of campus life in autumn.

And so, I made Lacie a complementary nod to Super Scarf and Mad About Plaid.

The plaid is a vintage woven cloth, and the skirt and cape are lined in silk taffeta.  The miniskirt sports the same chain detail as Barbie's and Dawn's. 

I began with Tamara Casey's Fizz pattern for Grace, which I quickly discovered did not fit Lacie.  Especially the cape across the chest.  So back to square one with at least a sloper to work with.  I widened the skirt at the hem to give it a bit of a flip and used pleats rather than darts at the waist in the front and back.

The cape was enlarged a good half inch all around except for the neckline and is made with the slits for her arms to go through.

The knit top pattern fit very well.


Boots and shoes are not difficult to find unless you need something specific.  I found these red boots in Marcia Friend's Facets Boutique, but they had a rise at the knee in front which made them resemble something Super Girl would wear.   So, I sewed a top stitch straight across the front and trimmed off the top to even them straight across.  

I considered removing the side strap details but instead painted the two studs on each strap with metallic gold paint to match the skirt chain.

I really love how Hallowed Halls, 1971 turned out.  It's simple yet chic and Lacie will surely turn heads as she walks the manicured pathways under trees covered in autumn leaves, as she goes from class to study hall, from library to lecture hall.

I gave her an extra-large Journey Through Time book which she's checked out for fashion history.

Here are all three girls together in their autumn plaids.  This was just a short blog, but I do this to archive my completed projects.

October is Halloween month and I'm just awaiting a few pieces of fabric, as usual, to complete a second costume.  About the time I'm almost finished, I realize a better notion or trim will be needed.  Today, I just might begin a third costume.  Or something.  I'm on a roll, so I'll stick with it.

Enjoy the beautiful and enchanting 2nd 'ber month of the year!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.